10 Reasons to Write Your Novel in November
Why You Ought to Try
(and Succeed at) NaNoWriMo This Year
Hi! This is a reposting of my very first blog entry, but I think it's timely! So, without further ado, I give you 10 reasons to get cracking on that book you've always wanted to write--and soon!
- To prove to yourself that you can do it. Yes, it's a lot of words in a short time, but thousands of people succeed every year. Why not you?
- Being creative is good for you! Birds sing, trees make fruit, elephants paint (I saw it in the Weekly Reader!)...and they all seem quite content. Seriously, I am sure there is some happy brain chemical involved. There is nothing like spending time with your imaginary friends, making them fall in love, turn into hedgehogs, die of consumption, etc.
- If no one else in your life cheers you on in your writing endeavors, the folks at NaNoWriMo will! There are plenty of forums on their website where you can find like-minded writers of whatever genre you fancy. You can even sign up to be mentored by an experienced wrimo. Or find out where to meet local wrimos & make some new friends in person (if you like that sort of thing!).
- Bragging rights. I never met anyone who wasn't impressed when I said that I'd written a 50,000-word novel in 30 days. I am not sure if they were more impressed by my accomplishment or my level of lunacy, but I prefer not to ask.
- You'll get a very cool certificate when you win. Printing out that certificate with my name and my book's name always gives me a thrill. It's like a diploma from the School of Author-ness, or one of those amusement park t-shirts: I Survived the Writhing Sea Monster Triple Looper Novel Coaster!
- To inspire others. If you dare to make some art, maybe you will help someone else be brave enough to do the same.
- It's fun. Mostly.
- It's a good excuse to treat yourself to some good tea, chocolate, coffee, or whatever goodies you like. Call it writing fuel and enjoy!
- Only you can write your story. If you don't let it out, it will never exist. You will deprive the universe of something that could change someone's life--something that would most certainly change yours.
- This may be your only chance. Not to be morbid, but you never know what's around the corner. Zombies, giant cannibal babies, three-legged angry fruitcakes with rabies. You just never know. Better head over to http://www.nanowrimo.org and sign up right away!!!
- SUPER BONUS REASON! If you're serious, you can squeeze out a decent first draft of your Future Published Novel this year. Before Christmas. Possibly before Thanksgiving. My Nano novel from 2012 was just that--and went on to win the 2014 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award for Young Adult Fiction* (after several rewrites, of course). Your November book could be the opening of a new chapter in your life. Dream big, and then work hard. You can do it.
*You can find my book, The Mermaid's Sister, on Amazon.com.